Dialectical Behavior Therapy
DBT Changes Lives
Managing Emotions with Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT)
What is DBT and can it help me?
You know those emotions that get out of control and get you in trouble? DBT teaches you how to keep them in check. Sounds cool, right?
DBT is a combination of Group Therapy and Individual Therapy that helps people learn to manage their emotions. This allows them to have better relationships, handle crises when they come up, make better decisions, and keep emotions in check.
Developed 50 years ago, it’s been shown to effectively treat problems including depression, bipolar, anxiety, PTSD, caregiver burnout, relationship problems, substance use, and of course borderline personality disorder.
DBT is considered the gold standard approach for treating Emotion Dysregulation:
- Emotions that spike out of control from nowhere
- Emotions that are super intense, more so than most people seem to understand
- Emotions that seems to last forever
I’m still confused – what is Emotion Dysregulation?
Emotion Dysregulation is a part of the following problems:
- Frequent crying
- Anger outbursts
- Inability to stay in healthy relationships
- Unsure what you are feeling
- Feeling like no one can understand your emotions
- Feeling overwhelmed all the time
- Borderline Personality Disorder
- PTSD and trauma
We’ve all experienced times when emotions take over. This is called getting “hijacked.” You can get hijacked when you are stuck in traffic and are late for a meeting, when you get into a fight with a loved one, when you feel attacked or threatened, when you’re overwhelmed at work, and so on. When you’re hijacked, you literally can’t think – and you might make bad decisions that cause you more problems.